RiderSite.com Forum Index RiderSite.com
[v4.2]

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Third week report, still a Curates egg.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjdugen
Despatch Rider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Third week report, still a Curates egg. Reply with quote

Had a busy week so had to squeeze the Falco in to the schedule.
Reg/Rec arrived, had to Google up the connections, then wrestle the seat plastics off. The original unit seems to have enough heavy gauge wiring not to need modding, maybe the later ones addressed the thin wire problem? Inspected the 'brown' plugs, no evidence of overheating (to my surprise). Hooked it all up and am getting a much steadier supply.
Next wrestle was getting the rear shock out, just managed to get the lower shock bolt passed the back down pipe, put it back the 'proper' way! All linkage bearings greased and free, so it has had good maintenance. Wound out the ride height about half an inch, it was fully screwed in. This has lifted the back up a good few inches, it even sits on the side stand securely now!
That has made a big difference, but it still needs 'pulling down' into corners. Its stopped head shaking on acceleration too, less squat at the back or I'm learning a bit of throttle discipline......
Must admit that when I still think its a bit wayward, a glance at the speedo shows there's a good reason for that!
Went out for a run down to Darley Moor, weather 'supposed' to be sunny. The A6 was closed... had to go via Macclesfield to Buxton, the infamous Cat and Fiddle road. Average speed cameras are a blight on a great stretch of road, but as we were riding INSIDE the clouds, pretty much superfluous. Greasy and poor visibility are usually cues for a sphincter pinching or two, but I have to admit, this was as good a tool as any, nice flowing torque made it easy.
So, not really an enjoyable day, but instructive.
I have one request to make. I would like a knowledgeable ear casting over the engine, just to confirm it is either good, or needs some work. If there is anyone in the north west who would give me an honest opinion, I would be grateful. Or. are there are any good independent dealers/mechanics you can recommend?
Cheers
jjdugen
Despatch Rider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all.
The request for a knowledgeable ear has become a little more pressing. My riding companion friend has decided we are going down to Cornwall next week 'for a decent ride'! I'm tossing the coin between the 'blade and the Prilla. Of the two, the Falco is better suited, so I wold like a little reassurance before setting off. Quite happy to travel a bit if anyone is available.

Cheers
mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're concerned about general mechanical noise, I'd say (within reason) not to worry. They are a mechanically noisy lump and the only cause for concern would be any unwanted vibrations and associated noise, or the sound of a cam chain tensioner that isn't doing its job. The other noise to listen out for is a graunchy sprag clutch, but that kind of noise is pretty obvious.

Bottom line is it will never be as smooth and even sounding as an IL4; it's mainly a case of readjusting your hearing and sense of feel. The only place I know of and where you'd get a totally impartial and expert opinion is at Aprilia Performance in Tamworth (West Midlands). Griff would be (hopefully) able to set your mind at rest very quickly.

If the bike is sounding a bit rattly, have you had the throttle bodies synchronised and the CO levels checked? Getting that done (if they're out) will make a massive difference.
jjdugen
Despatch Rider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mango. Tamworth is a little far from me, but it looks like a good shout. I read good things about Griff, so I might be meeting him personally.
I've balanced the throttle bodies, which were a mile out, 3+ turns out on the front, 1 1/2 on the back. Setting up the CO2 levels seems to be just as critical, must ensure that the downpipe plugs are free before going.

Cheers.
mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CO levels can make a big difference to low-down smoothness. They're more likely to be out if the exhaust has recently been modified or changed. Mine were miles out when I had them done and previous to that low speed work, especially hairpins etc., wasn't much fun. Now it's much smoother and throttle control is way better.
jjdugen
Despatch Rider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update.
Found the white, circular plug from alternator into the harness, it also carries the pick-up leads. Yup, nicely toasted connections..... Cut, soldered and heat-shrinked. Now the Volts stay perfectly steady even with main beam and indicators loading it all up. Well happy.
Greg
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a connector to check as a matter of course
jjdugen
Despatch Rider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. It wasn't until I poured over the wiring diagram that I noticed it. Then it was a case of finding it, well tucked down the side of the frame spars.
The bike is slim, but a hell of a lot is crammed into a hell of a small space!
Greg
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm repainting over the next few weeks so will check it out then ..
Thanks for the heads-up!
mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No end of bikes seem to suffer from this, and I'm pretty sure it's due to scrimping on cable gauges and poor quality connectors. When the bike is new, everything is just about within tolerance. Add a bit of age and corrosion into the mix and it all goes downhill rapidly.

Good spot and well found. That should significantly improve the health of the electrical system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RiderSite.com Forum Index -> Falco All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: