RiderSite.com Forum Index RiderSite.com
[v4.2]

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hints and suggestions for accommodation for Classic TT 2019

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Hints and suggestions for accommodation for Classic TT 2019 Reply with quote

For nearly 20 years I was a regular attendee at the IoM TT races - I didn't miss a year between 1978 and 1994 and saw some fantastic racing. A couple of things made me stop going - the feeling that every year prices were going up and up in an unsustainable manner, Foggy and Hizzy turning their backs on the TT, and the death of Mez Mellor. Mez's death hit me particularly hard as the day before his fatal accident I'd been chatting with him in a Douglas cafe along with his wife and baby. That was just too close to home for me. It was also the case that two weeks (sometimes more) disappeared out of my precious holiday allowance every year, limiting time off for other things.

So anyway, fast forward 25 years and my wife (bless her) has been convincing me that we ought to go back there for her to see what the TT is all about! (We only married in 2004, so she has never seen the TT). I've persuaded her that we'd be best going to the Classic TT rather than the 'real' TT, as the crowds will hopefully be smaller and there should be less of the nutter element (although having met some of the nutters on here, I'm not so sure... ). The bikes will also be of an era that I have very fond memories of, and want to revisit.

I'm pretty sure that everything I took as gospel about the Island will have changed drastically, for instance I'm sure Dolly's guest house in Ramsey won't be operating anymore; if dear old Dolly is still alive she'll be approaching her century. So can any regular attendees start me off on places to check out for accomodation? I'd prefer to be based in Ramsey, as I have very fond memories of the place and I think I can still remember some of the back-road routes to get to favourite corners. I'd be equally happy for us to stay in a guest house or go self-catering (if that's an option). So any hints, tips, recommendations or suggestions very welcome.
D-Rider
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good ... but I can give no hints or advice as I've never been.
I'd love to go one day but would be with mixed feelings as my head says that machines have outgrown the course and the format needs to change.

Although I can't be of much help, I do remember that a few years back we had someone on here that was a key organiser of the TT. Maybe with a bit of a search you could find him and maybe ask some questions.

... I also wonder if Ico's "canarino feroce" ever moved from its final (?) resting place on the island .....

“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein
fatboy
World Champion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never been but from speaking to those who frequent it would seem to be book this year for next years accommodation ......
It seems it is that busy
BikerGran
Gran Turismo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been since (I think) 2003 but we were camping at Glenlough Farm just above Union Mills.

The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.
mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BikerGran wrote:
I haven't been since (I think) 2003 but we were camping at Glenlough Farm just above Union Mills.

That was where I camped on the first time I did more than a day trip. It was 1970 and the sun shone for the whole fortnight and camping was a breeze. The next year it pissed it down and we got washed out and had to find bricks and mortar accomodation...
BikerGran
Gran Turismo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our weather was pretty mixed - we had a huge storm one night when we were all out sorting guy ropes etc at 3am! And one night I got my leather soaked watching the Purple Helmets on Douglas prom.

The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RiderSite.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: